Yachts For Sale In Essex
Essex is a small, historic town consisting of 3 villages—Essex Village, Centerbrook, and Ivoryton in Middlesex County on the Connecticut River. Route 9 runs north/south through the center of Essex and connects with I-95 to south. Gillette Castle State Park on the Connecticut River is to north. Major attractions include the historical Essex Steam Train & Riverboat, Pratt House Museum, Connecticut River Museum, and much more.
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Connecticut. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Essex Connecticut
JULIANNE Name Reserved
90' Outer Reef Yachts 900 MY 2022
Essex, Connecticut, United States
74' Burger 74 Flush Deck Motoryacht 1970
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
69' JFA 2003
Stonington, Connecticut, United States
59' Prestige 590 flybridge 2020
Mystic, Connecticut, United States
53' Custom Stone Shipyard 1937
Stonington, Connecticut, United States
52' Sea Ray 52 Sundancer 2007
Old Saybrook, Connecticut, United States
50' Sunseeker Predator 50 2019
Chester, Connecticut, United States
50' Alden CB 1985
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
49' Beneteau America 2015
Westbrook, Connecticut, United States
45' Ocean Yachts Convertible 1996
Niantic, Connecticut, United States
44' J Boats J44 1990
Westbrook, Connecticut, United States
To search for more boats for sale in Connecticut and narrow by city, you can begin here:
- Branford, Connecticut
- Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Clinton, Connecticut
- Greenwich, Connecticut
- Milford, Connecticut
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Norwalk, Connecticut
- Old Saybrook, Connecticut
- Portland, Connecticut
- Westbrook, Connecticut
- Westport, Connecticut
The major historical event of the town of Essex’s history occurred during the War of 1812 when British warships blockaded the southeastern coast of Connecticut’s shipping ports. The attack by the British was likened to “Pearl Harbor” though no lives were lost; just the town’s store of rum (worth $100,000) that was acquired by trade with East Indies for beef and wood, the town’s stores of rope (needed for ships of that era), and all the newly built privateer ships (worth $200,000) lying in harbor, ready to sail, were burned. Two of the privateers were captured and towed by the British militia who got stuck in low tide and were fired upon from the riverbanks by local Killington volunteers. The captured ships had to be destroyed, and at high tide the British escaped.
Essex (Potapoug Point until renamed in 1854) was a major shipbuilding and shipping center back then, but the British blockade prevented any shipping commerce, so the shipbuilders, notably Captain Richard Hayden, started building the 315-ton sharp schooners outfitted as privateers. Unfortunately, he advertised the flagship vessel, Black Prince, in a New York City newspaper that was likely seen by British intelligence, who investigated and ordered the raid under command of Richard Coote from the four British warships anchored in Long Island Sound. Six boats of British militia rowed 6 miles up the Connecticut River to Essex at night, arriving 4 am in complete surprise and easily commandeered the town after exchange of volleys, proving the wartime adage: Loose lips sink ships! The Connecticut River Museum stands on the site where Coote landed the raiding party, and features an exhibit portraying the raid.
The event is also commemorated annually in May with an Ancient Fife and Drum Corps dressed in full period uniform, parade, and ceremony presented by the “Sailing Masters of 1812” at the steamboat dock.
Centerbrook Village was the “center” of town until the Revolutionary War, as it was a very productive agricultural area; many of the original 2-story center chimney farmhouses remain to this day. Smaller Cape Cod type homes were also characteristic of Centerbrook and a few examples remain.
The Congregational Church is the dominant historical structure and oldest church building in Middlesex County. Shipbuilding dominated the local economy between the Revolutionary War and Civil War and was based in Essex Village (formerly Potapaug Point). Many homes were built from 1790 to 1820 and Main Street with its Federal style homes, is basically the same today as then. Main Street was dominated by members of prominent shipbuilder Captain Richard Hayden’s family. Hayden Shipyard was directly south of the first 8 buildings, on Main Street owned by Hayden family members, including Griswold Inn. As the market for wooden sailing ships faded, the village Ivoryton became the center of commerce with its production of ivory and piano parts. One of the two largest producers of ivory products in the US, Comstock, Cheney & Co. brought a new affluence to the area and the construction of Victorian or Gothic (aka Gingerbread) style homes. Only a few remain, such as the 1855 “Gingerbread House” and Parker House. The Griswold Inn in downtown Essex was recognized by Esquire magazine as having one of the “top 100 bars in America.”
Essex’s National Historic Sites are as follows: Benjamin Bushnell Farm located on 11 acres includes the Federal style 1790 farmhouse, the 19th century Cranberry House, barn, and two other buildings. Cranberries were cultivated on the property’s bogs. Centerbrook Congregational Church was originally the Centerbrook Meeting House built in 1790 and altered throughout the 19th century; the interior is Victorian. Christeen is the oldest oyster sloop in the US. The 1915 Essex Freight Station in Centerbrook Village provides excursion trips on the Essex Steam Train running on the revived Heritage Connecticut Valley Railroad that had served the Connecticut River Valley since 1871. A non-profit group acquired the railroad in 1970 (after the line had declared bankruptcy in the 1950s) and has operated the excursions aboard the historic Steam Trains since 1971.
Hills Academy built in Greek Revival style in 1832 was a school building until 1910. It now houses the Essex Historical Society. Pratt House built 1701 by William Pratt, is one of Connecticut’s oldest surviving buildings. The main block was built in 1732 and the house has been in the Pratt family for 6 generations from 1701 to 1915. It is now owned by the Essex Historical Society. Steamboat Dock Site located at the end of Main Street on the Connecticut River, is a rare 3-story restored 1878 steamboat warehouse, the only one remaining of its type. The Connecticut River Museum on the Steamboat Dock is dedicated to the marine environment and maritime heritage of area; it displays many river artifacts and hosts the annual Connecticut River Eagle Festival. Comstock-Cheney Hall/Ivoryton Playhouse professional theater is the first continually operating, self-supporting summer theater in the US. The Playhouse produces shows from March to December. The building was constructed 1910-11 as a recreation hall for the Comstock-Cheney factory. Opened in 1930 as Ivoryton Playhouse with “Broken Dishes” starring Bette Davis by successful Broadway director, Milton Stiefel. When he retired in 1973, the Playhouse was sold to Ken Krezel, who sold it to the Ivoryton Playhouse Foundation in 1979.
The most famous and popular Essex attraction is the Essex Steam Train. The main station (historical Essex Freight Station) is in Centerbrook; the other stations are in Deep River, Chester, and Haddam. The regular excursion is from Essex to Deep River, then to the Becky Thatcher Riverboat that takes passengers up the scenic Connecticut River to the Haddam area. Called “one of the last great places on Earth” by the Nature Conservancy, the CT River Valley is best seen aboard the only steam train and riverboat connection in America. Board at Essex Station and ride to Deep River Landing to board the Becky Thatcher, a Mississippi-style riverboat for transport upriver and back, past Gillette Castle and Goodspeed Opera House located on the riverfront. Back at Deep River, Steam Train returns to Essex. Other excursions are a Sunset Cruise on Becky Thatcher during summer months and the Essex Clipper Dinner Train for a 4-course meal in a restored 1920s Pullman dining car that travels to Haddam and back. Periodically available is A Day Out with Thomas, the tank engine (especially great for children) and the popular holiday season North Pole Express with elves and Mr. & Mrs. Claus.
Visitors arriving by land or by water (boat) to enjoy Essex’s historic waterfront district will find a welcoming port throughout the year. Visit the many attractions and events—parades, free concerts and exhibits on the village green, and the many shopping and dining choices—specialty shops, galleries, antiques, spas and more, Ivoryton Historic District, and the wide range of shops, from everyday to specialty in Centerbrook Village.
For those arriving by boat to visit or cruising upriver, Safe Harbor Essex Island Marina is located on its own 13-acre island in the Connecticut River in Essex. Safe Harbor Essex Island is a waterfront destination for local boaters and cruising vessels. A boating retreat for rendezvous events, weddings, and other events. Safe Harbor Members can enjoy the full array of amenities such as the large swimming pool and lawn games (volleyball). Docking facilities include shore power, fresh water, cable TV, pump-outs, WiFi, dock carts, BBQ grills, laundry facility, showers, and courtesy shuttle. Slips can accommodate vessels with LOA (length over all) from 25 ft to 100 ft, max. hgt. 80 ft, max. beam 18 ft, and max. draft 10 ft. Transient slips are available for vessels from 16 ft to 175 ft length. Book via Dockwa.com. Safe Harbor Essex Island also features waterfront restaurant Siren, and Ship’s Store (ice, snacks, boat supplies, and more). Marine Services are available at the Safe Harbor Dauntless Boatyard along with Fuel Dock.
Safe Harbor Dauntless/Dauntless Shipyard continues in the traditions of the past 100+ years of maritime excellence with state-of-the-art marine service. The village of Essex is only a short walk away. The marina’s wet slips accommodate vessels up to 60 ft LOA, 83 ft max. hgt., 17 ft max. beam, (unrestricted max. beam – side tie), and 11 ft max. draft. Slips include WiFi, shore power, fresh water and cable TV hook ups, pump-outs, and more for Members and Transients. Book via Dockwa.com. Full marine services are available in Shipyard. Fuel dock with ValvTect marine gas and diesel and high-speed pumps. Ship’s Store (ice and boat supplies), dock carts, BBQ grills, bathhouse, and laundry.
Essex Yacht Club was founded in 1933 on principles of friendship and yachting, and to promote excellence in yachting activities (racing, cruising, and off water club activities). The Club recognizes and extends reciprocal privileges for the use of facilities to other yacht club members. EYC accepts transients (visiting yachtsmen). Mooring field length limit is 50 ft. Non-member dockage includes water, one 50 amp or two 30-amp services. Food to go can be ordered from Dining Room. Pump-out is available at Safe Harbor Dauntless Marina (just north) or from the Connecticut River pump-out boat (a free service via hailer; Memorial Day to October). Fuel is at Safe Harbor Dauntless Marina.