Yachts For Sale In Norwalk
City of Norwalk’s harbor and beautiful coastline with offshore islands entice boaters to visit from all over the East Coast. Just minutes from marinas, yacht clubs, and town Visitors Docks are family-friendly attractions, fine dining, high-end shopping, and nightlife in the revitalized, trendy SoNo (South Norwalk) area. Located in southwest Connecticut on the Long Island Sound in Fairfield County, Norwalk’s Norwalk River runs 20 miles south to form Norwalk Harbor where it flows into the Sound. The mouth of the river, from Wall Street to the south, shapes the Harbor. Called “The Jewel of Long Island Sound,” much of Norwalk’s history centers on the Harbor, as one of the most important areas for recreational boating and commercial shellfisheries, among other water-dependent activities. The century-old oystering industry of Norwalk endures to this day.
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Connecticut. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Norwalk Connecticut
80' Schaefer 800 Pininfarina 2013
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
72' CL Yachts CLB72 2019
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
70' Pershing 70 2016
Old Saybrook, Connecticut, United States
69' JFA Custom 70 2003
Stonington, Connecticut, United States
63' Hatteras 63 2001
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
62' Princess V62 2013
Westbrook, Connecticut, United States
59' Prestige 590 flybridge 2020
Mystic, Connecticut, United States
55' Sunseeker Manhattan 2017
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
55' Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge 1994
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
53' Southern Cross 53 1986
Mystic, Connecticut, United States
52' Tiara Yachts 5200 Express 2000
Branford, Connecticut, United States
To search for more boats for sale in Connecticut and narrow by city, you can begin here:
- Branford, Connecticut
- Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Clinton, Connecticut
- Essex, Connecticut
- Greenwich, Connecticut
- Milford, Connecticut
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Old Saybrook, Connecticut
- Portland, Connecticut
- Westbrook, Connecticut
- Westport, Connecticut
Norwalk was settled in 1649 and incorporated in 1651 on land east of Norwalk River purchased from Chief Mahackemo of the Algonquian-speaking Norwaake Indians in 1640. In the Battle of Norwalk during the Revolutionary War, most of the town was burned. In 1836, the borough of Norwalk was formed encompassing the central area of town. During the 19th and 20th centuries, Norwalk was a major stop on the New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad. In 1910, the City of Norwalk and other parts of the Town of Norwalk were combined to form the current City of Norwalk. Preservation efforts led to the creation of Washington Street Historical District in South Norwalk.
Today there are 15 marinas, 13 private clubs with marina facilities, and 5 commercial port facilities that collectively offer over 1800 boat slips and over 500 mooring locations for recreational vessels in the Harbor. During the 1800s the area near Wall Street where the first commercial wharves were located, was the hub of the City. The “Great Bridge” over the Norwalk River was where E. Lockwood & Sons had their mercantile establishment and wharf from where they shipped to all major East Coast ports and the West Indies. In the mid-1950s, major hurricanes flooded the Norwalk Harbor and much of the Wall Street business district was destroyed, to the point of changing the City’s appearance. The Connecticut Thruway was built across the Norwalk River in 1958. For years, a site on the west bank south of the I-95 bridge was used as a garbage and landfill site but has now been transformed into a beautiful waterfront park—Oyster Shell Park, a component of Greater Norwalk Heritage Parks. The Federal Navigation Channel extends to the Wall Street area.
The Norwalk Islands are a 6-mile-long archipelago of low-lying islands and partially submerged boulders, reefs, and mudflats located about a mile off Norwalk’s coast and southwest Westport, in the Long Island Sound. The Islands offer a range of recreational activities such as camping, boating, kayaking, swimming, clamming, and bird watching and are Norwalk’s “natural summer playground.” About half dozen islands are privately owned, some are owned by the City of Norwalk and the Town of Westport (Cockenoe Island), and others are part of the Stewart B McKinney Wildlife Refuge. Various laws and Acts protect the islands that are a prime nesting site for migrating birds like ospreys, egrets, herons, terns, gulls, cormorants, American oystercatchers, and piping plovers. 57-acre Sheffield Island features hiking trails and the Sheffield Island Lighthouse built in 1868 and added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1969. It is also the wintering ground for harbor seals.
Sheffield Island is maintained by the Norwalk Seaport Association and is open to the public. For a nominal landing fee, boaters can drop-off and pick-up visitors at the dock. Norwalk Parks & Recreation manages Shea Island and Grassy Island with 16 campsites (seasonal May-Sept); a permit must be obtained. Copps and Betts Islands are privately owned. Tavern Island, also privately owned, was reputedly used by rumrunners in the 1920s. Chimon, Goose, and Sheffield Islands are part of the Stewart B McKinney National Wildlife Refuge system. Kayakers can launch from Calf Pasture Beach to paddle the Norwalk Island Canoe & Kayak Trail. Boaters can launch at Norwalk City ramp and Visitors Docks for boating to the islands.
The non-profit Norwalk Seaport Association was founded in 1978 by a group of local citizens with a common vision to revitalize South Norwalk and preserve Norwalk’s maritime heritage. To increase awareness of Norwalk Harbor and raise funds for the non-profit, Norwalk Seaport Assoc. held the first Oyster Festival in 1978. Today the Oyster Festival is a major event, drawing an average of 90,000 and bringing $5million to the local economy and has expanded to become a community service event, benefitting other non-profits’ missions. Norwalk Seaport Assoc. is the keeper of the Sheffield Islands Lighthouse. The historic lighthouse and cottage were added to the NRHP in 1989. Visitors can take the Norwalk Seaport’s ferry—a 49ft catamaran, to Sheffield Island to tour the historic Light during the May – September season.
The Oyster Festival is held the weekend after Labor Day at Norwalk’s Veterans’ Park. This 43-year annual tradition is a 3-day weekend community event featuring fresh oysters and other popular food, craft beer, carnival rides, arts & crafts vendors, and much more. Oysters have been cultivated in Norwalk since the late 1800s and Norwalk became known as “Oyster Town” and the oyster capital of the world! The industry crashed in the 1950s due to a series of storms and hurricanes that ravaged the oyster beds along with a waning demand for new oyster seed. Many oyster companies went out of business. In 1972 Bloom Brothers bought Tallmadge Brothers Oyster Company (established 1975) and was able to rebuild the Norwalk oyster industry as a top producer once again.
The Connecticut shoreline has more tributary rivers per linear mile than any other region of the United States, creating unique geographical features that are ideal for oysters to thrive. The intertidal flats and shoreline that oysters and other shellfish inhabit, provided a rich source of protein for Native American Tribes—attested to by the myriads of shell mounds that were uncovered by archeologists. For European settlers, oysters were more than a valuable food source, they were also traded, beginning the commercial shellfish industry in the cold, nutrient-rich waters along the coast of Connecticut. Demand for the high-quality oysters led to the threat of overfishing and the industry had to be managed and cultivated. At its peak in 1911, Connecticut’s oyster production topped at 25 million pounds, surpassing the combined production of its neighboring states.
Copps Island Oysters, founded in Norwalk by Norm Bloom & Son LLC in 1994, started as a one-boat operation with a crew of three. Norm learned the business of harvesting and farming oysters from his father, Norman Sr and uncle, Hillard Bloom (twin brothers) who revived the Tallmadge Brothers Oyster Co. (est. 1875) which they had purchased in 1972. Norm Sr had previously purchased unoccupied grounds to rehabilitate the industry and create new market demand. Tallmadge expanded to control 22,000 acres of shellfish grounds from Greenwich to New Haven and 2,000 acres in Delaware Bay. After Norm Jr’s father passed away in 1989, Norm decided to branch out on his own and in 20 years became one of the largest privately held oyster farms on the east coast of the United States. His son and daughter joined him in business and are looking to continue the Bloom family oystering legacy.
Boaters can Dock & Dine at SoNo Seaport Seafood on the Norwalk Harbor waterfront. Established in 1984, this restaurant and fish market offers slips for small to mid-size boats, though larger vessels can dock at nearby Norwalk Visitor’s Dock (fee) and walk or dinghy over to the restaurant. Indoor or outdoor family-style dining. Serves a typical seafood menu, ranging from steamed lobster dinners to whole belly fried clams, and other favorites such as fresh local oysters, shrimp calamari, steamers, chowder, lobster rolls, king crab legs, fish & chips, hamburgers, sandwiches, and more.
South Norwalk (SoNo) was once a rundown area in 1970s with vacant buildings about to be demolished. A community group formed the South Norwalk Revitalization Project to save the area and by 1977 a downtown historic district was developed, protecting 35 buildings from destruction, and in 1988, a former iron works factory on the Norwalk River was transformed into The Maritime Aquarium, a primary SoNo attraction. Today the area is an upscale, desirable destination with great restaurants, luxury condos, SkyZone Trampoline Park, Bow Tie Regent Cinemas, and SoNo Collection, a high-end experience-driven shopping mall.
A popular historical attraction is the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion built in 1864-68 for railroad and banking tycoon, LeGrand Lockwood. This Victorian-era Second Empire style country residence is a 44,000 sq ft mansion with 62 rooms and is one of the earliest and best surviving examples of the Second Empire style ever built in America. It was listed on the NRHP in 1978 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. The Lockwood-Mathews Mansion is located at 295 West Ave in Mathews Park, a recreational area with two museums and public tennis courts. It was used as location footage for the TV Series, “Dark Shadows” (1966-1971) and the 2004 remake of the film, “Stepford Wives.”
The estate was sold to Charles & Rebecca Mathews in 1876 four years after Lockwood’s untimely death in 1872. The Mathews family resided in the mansion until 1938, and in 1941, it was sold to the City of Norwalk and designated a public park. The immense building was set to be demolished in the 1960s, but citizens united in a major preservation effort and succeeded in saving the historic mansion in 1965, that became the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum of Norwalk, Inc. a non-profit corporation.
Norwalk’s Visitor Docks with mooring and docking, offers transient daily and seasonal dockage. Season opened April 16, 2021. Dockmaster is on duty to collect fees—daily $40. Apply for seasonal dockage. Conveniently located within minutes to fine dining, nightlife, shopping, boutiques, museums, Maritime Aquarium & 6-story IMAX theater, library with free Wi-Fi, and more.
Norwalk Cove Marina Inc, located at 48 Calf pasture Beach Road, is a top-notch full-service marina and repair facility in a well-protected, deep water basin at the mouth of Norwalk Harbor. Features 400 slips on well-maintained floating docks, piers, and ramps. Accommodates vessels up to 138ft LOA. Fuel dock with high-speed pumps offers ValvTect gas and diesel and pump-out services. Dockmaster and security guard on premises. Amenities include private showers & restrooms, laundry facilities, WiFi & cable TV, picnic and BBQ areas, mini golf course, The Galley Waterfront Café and seasonal Sunset Grill on site, Ships Store & Nautical gift Boutique, and complimentary shuttle to South Norwalk restaurants, museums, Metro North Train station, and grocery stores. 30 & 50amp, 100amp single phase, and 100am 3-phase Shore Power is available (fees apply). Marina is across the street from Calf Pasture Public Beach, dog park, and town tennis courts. Norwalk Cove Marina offers Travelifts up to 150 tons and experienced staff of mechanics and technicians for repairs and maintenance. Apply on website or call. Restaurant dockage is $1/ft for 4 hours—call in advance of arrival.
Norwalk Yacht Club, located at 10 Nathan Hale Drive, is a casual, family-oriented sailing club established 1894 inside Greens Ledge Light in a quiet cove with a small beach. The membership club has a long tradition of racing and cruising. Marina consists of a total of 130 slips including 6 transient slips and moorings. Accommodates vessels up to 5ft LOA. Dockside depth is 8ft. Fuel dock offers diesel and gas. Amenities include water, restrooms & showers, ice, picnic tables, and grills. The marina has a 4-ton and 1-ton travel lift for launch service. The mooring field opens in May (commissioned season to Oct.) for sail and power boats of varying drafts. Visitors of reciprocal clubs are welcome to rent guest moorings. To reserve, call or book via Dockwa.com. The village of Rowayton is an easy walk from the Norwalk Yacht Club and conveniently located for kayaking and paddling to the Norwalk Islands, Village Creek, and Farm Creek. Rowayton and historic SoNo district are easily accessible by cab.
Wilson Cove Yacht Club is a membership yacht club set in a small, protected harbor in the Rowayton area of Norwalk, located under a mile from open waters of Long Island Sound. The WCYC maintains club facilities at The Boatworks marina, a full-service yacht yard with 100 deep-water slips on floating docks. Dockside depth is 6ft and marina can accommodate vessels up to 50ft LOA. The marina offers great views of the Norwalk Islands and Long Island Sound. Amenities include 30 & 50amp electric, water, ice, grills, security, and pet friendly. Restrooms and showers are on the ground floor of the facility that features a second story party room with bar service, microwave, sound system, and wrap around deck.
The Boatworks marina has a 35-ton travel lift (max. 18ft beam), 17-ton crane, and full repair service (hull, engines, props). During the 1920s and 1930s, the northernmost area of Wilson Cove was a shallow tidal basin used mostly by commercial vessels for activities like ice harvesting—ice was used to keep things cold before refrigeration. Harvested ice was transported from Wilson Cove to Oyster Bay on Long Island for distribution to Long Island and New York City. On the return, coal was transported for distribution to Fairfield County.
Oyster Bend Yacht Club & Marina at 23 Platt Street has 75 slips with 6 transient slips on fixed docks. Maximum slip width is 15ft and can accommodate boats with up to 36ft LOA. Dockside depth is 6ft and tide range is 8ft. Channel depth is 6ft. Amenities include 50amp and 110v electric, water, restrooms and showers, and gated docks. Pet friendly. Located in a well-protected area up the Norwalk River on the right bank of Norwalk Harbor, past Washington Street traffic and Metro North Railroad bridges, across from Oyster Shell Park. OBYC offers daily, seasonal, and annual rates; go to Dockwa.com to apply for a seasonal lease. Services, fuel, and restaurants are nearby.
Total Marine of Norwalk, located at 160 Water Street, has 90 slips with 10 transient slips on floating docks for vessels up to 80ft LOA. Dockside depth is 9ft; approach is 15ft. Amenities include 30 & 50amp electric, restrooms, and showers.