Yachts For Sale In Milford
The City of Milford is a beautiful seaside community on the south-central coast of Connecticut. Located in New Haven County, Milford includes the village of Devon and the borough of Woodmont. Once a beach resort town on the Long Island Sound, Milford’s coastal New England ambiance lives on in the many recreational facilities it offers. The Town of Milford chose to incorporate as the City of Milford in 1959 and is located between West Haven to east; Stratford to west and south; Shelton to north; Orange to north and east, and to south, the Long Island Sound on over 14 miles of shoreline—the most of any Connecticut town. A large portion of Milford’s shoreline is Silver Sands State Park beach and Charles Island located about a mile offshore in the Long Island Sound. Three other islands are located within the City of Milford, but only one is fully owned by Milford, Fowler Island in the Housatonic River.
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Connecticut. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Milford Connecticut
JULIANNE Name Reserved
90' Outer Reef Yachts 900 MY 2022
Essex, Connecticut, United States
74' Burger 74 Flush Deck Motoryacht 1970
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
69' JFA 2003
Stonington, Connecticut, United States
59' Prestige 590 flybridge 2020
Mystic, Connecticut, United States
53' Custom Stone Shipyard 1937
Stonington, Connecticut, United States
52' Sea Ray 52 Sundancer 2007
Old Saybrook, Connecticut, United States
50' Sunseeker Predator 50 2019
Chester, Connecticut, United States
50' Alden CB 1985
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
49' Beneteau America 2015
Westbrook, Connecticut, United States
45' Ocean Yachts Convertible 1996
Niantic, Connecticut, United States
44' J Boats J44 1990
Westbrook, Connecticut, United States
To search for more boats for sale in Connecticut and narrow by city, you can begin here:
- Branford, Connecticut
- Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Clinton, Connecticut
- Essex, Connecticut
- Greenwich, Connecticut
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Norwalk, Connecticut
- Old Saybrook, Connecticut
- Portland, Connecticut
- Westbrook, Connecticut
- Westport, Connecticut
The Housatonic River is a major river in western Connecticut that runs south/southeast from Massachusetts and empties into the Long Island Sound between Milford and Stratford and separates New Haven County from Fairfield County. Fowler Island is located between the Igor I. Sikorsky Memorial Bridge (Merritt Parkway) and the Moses Wheeler Bridge (I-95). The island is uninhabited except for visiting anglers, duck hunters, and bird watchers; it is only accessible by boat. The two other islands within the City of Milford are owned and managed by the State of Connecticut. Duck Island is an uninhabited natural area preserve—no visitors are allowed during bird nesting season.
It is within the Charles E Wheeler Wildlife Management Area, a 625-acre brackish tidal marsh nature preserve and hunting area, owned by the State in Devon village of Milford. Nells Island, also located within the Charles E Wheeler Wildlife Area is larger than Duck Island and uninhabited, as it is part of the preserve. Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh is a scenic paddling area for viewing wildlife, especially birds, however it is a shallow tidal marsh and best paddled within 2 hours before and after high tide or risk getting stuck in mud. There is a State launch site, but no facilities. The Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center at Milford Point overlooks the estuary of the Housatonic River in the Devon neighborhood and offers guided canoe tours of the Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh to view the many species of birds and other wildlife.
Silver Sands State Park Beach consists of 297 acres of beach, dunes, restored salt marsh, open areas, and woods, along with 14-acre Charles Island, a bird sanctuary. The Park has over half-mile of shoreline and ¾-mile of boardwalk was added in 2011 to connect Silver Sands with Walnut Beach’s boardwalk in Devon. Current facilities include portable toilets. A construction project that was started in 2018 to build a bathhouse complex with concession and office, has been delayed by a fire in 2019.
A narrow sandbar that is perpendicular to the shore (called a tombolo) extends about a mile to Charles Island and is exposed at low tide. Charles Island can be walked to from the beach during low tide, and anglers use the tombolo for shore fishing. However, tidal waters over-wash the sand bar quickly producing dangerous currents and undertow into deep water, and one can become stranded on Charles Island until the next low tide! Treasure hunters visit the island in search of Capt Kidd’s treasure rumored to have been buried on the island in 1699. Charles Island, a Natural Preserve Area and protected bird nesting sanctuary, is closed from May 1st through Sept 9th during bird nesting season. Milford has 5 guarded public residential beaches—Gulf, Anchor, Hawley Avenue, Walnut and Middle Beach, plus 7 private beaches.
Milford and surrounding area were the territory of the Paugusset native people (Algonquian language) when Europeans started to arrive. English settlers of the New Haven Colony purchased land from the Pangusset in 1699 that became Milford, Orange, and West Haven. Fort Trumbull was built in the late 1790s to protect Milford during the Revolutionary War. A small river, Wepawaug, that ran through Milford was used to power a grist mill in 1640. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Milford’s commerce was shipbuilding, farming, and oystering, along with some industry. A stone and tower bridge, built in 1884 to commemorate the town’s history, replaced the last remaining grist mill on the Wepawaug where Broad Street crosses the river, after it shut down in 1894. Later in the 19th century, Milford became a beach resort because of its coastal location and proximity to New Haven and Bridgeport. In the early 1900s, the leather industry gained prominence and factories along Milford’s rivers produced shoes, boots, hats. Milford was also known for its carriages, sold throughout the centuries.
Post WWII interstate highway construction led to a surge in urbanization as I-95 was routed through the town. The Town of Milford chose to incorporate as the City of Milford in 1959, including borough of Woodmont. The 1960s and 1970s were the years of intense commercial development along the Boston Post Road (US-1) and development of the Connecticut Post Mall, the State’s largest shopping mall located at the juncture of I-95 and Boston Post Road. The Mall features a collection of 150+ stores with major specialty retailers, department stores, entertainment venues, restaurants, pharmacy chain, bank, AT&T, cinema, events, and more. During this period, many multinational corporations established their headquarters in Milford’s corporate, research, and industrial parks. In the 1970s, SCELBI Computer Consulting, located on US-1, is credited with being the first personal computer manufacturer!
Milford Point Brewing is the City’s first brewery, founded in 2016. The various beer types were named for places in Milford—Anchor Beach IPA, Pond Point Lager, Devon Wheat, Silver Sands IPA, and West Shore Double IPA are a few examples.
Milford Town Center and Historic District along River Street is a short walk from Wepawaug River waterfront marinas and is a charming area of shops, restaurants, and more. Wharf Lane features an enclave of historic homes listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) that are maintained by the Milford Historical Society, whose mission is to preserve Milford’s seafaring heritage. Among the group are three that were built in the 1700s, such as the Eells-Stow House with a display of over 4000 Native American artifacts. Among other historic buildings and structures listed in the NRHP are the Housatonic River Railroad Bridge, Washington Bridge, Buckingham House, Milford Point Hotel, Taylor Memorial Library, US Post Office/Milford Main and more.
The Milford Green is the second longest green in new England and has been a public space since 1646. It was added to the NRHP in 2018. This historic plaza, featuring monuments and a gazebo, is used for events in downtown Milford and stretches for walkable blocks along Broad Street to where it intersects with River Street. Centrally located, this historic core of Milford was once used as a cow pasture and militia training ground as well as for cultural and recreational events. High quality arts & craft shows, and concerts are annual events during summer months.
The biggest event of the summer is the Milford Oyster Festival that began in 1975 and has since developed into a major annual tradition held the 3rd weekend in August. FoxNews.com has proclaimed the Milford Oyster Festival as the 5th Best Oyster Festival Nationwide! Highlights of the weekend event that draws 50,000, are the premier live music entertainment, Classic Car Show, Canoe & Kayak Race in Milton Harbor, Tall Ship Schooner cruises, and the 30,000 locally harvested oysters that are consumed!
Milford Harbor & Wilcox Park comprises the lower portion of the Wepawaug River and its entrance is the river’s mouth between two jetties—westerly jetty extends from Burns Point and the easterly is marked by Milford Harbor Light 10. The harbor’s dredged channel leads from The Gulf (from the sandbar and Charles Island to the wide peninsula on opposite side of river mouth) to a point 400 ft above Town Wharf. It features an extensive mooring field with depths of 6.5 ft in the anchorage basin along the west side of the channel. Milford Town Dock is at Milford Landing at the head of the Harbor. Milford Harbor is one of the best spots for menhaden (a bait fish in the herring family) in the Long Island Sound. Milford Harbor is a very popular stop with cruising boaters, as it is just 9 miles southwest of New Haven and 8 miles northeast of Bridgeport.
Milford Lisman Landing Marina & Maritime Park (aka Town Wharf/Dock) is publicly owned and operated by the City of Milford/Harbor Master. It is an all-transient marina dedicated to bringing cruising boaters to Milford. Open seasonally from May 15th to Columbus Day, Milford Landing is located at the north end of Milford Harbor on west side of the channel. The marina provides dockage for 35 transient vessels and 5 local commercial fishing vessels up to 65 ft LOA. Minimum dredged depth is 7 ft at mean low. Amenities include dockhands, pump-out, 30 & 50amp electric, water, ice, laundromat, shower and restroom facilities, BBQ/picnic area, tennis courts, and concierge service. Well maintained grounds. Car and bike rentals are nearby. Ice cream shop onsite. Food truck at public boat launch. Uphill road to town is lined with restaurants and shops. A short stroll from the marina will take you Daniel Street for restaurant, music, and entertainment. Make boat slip reservation (highly recommended for busy summer weekends) with Dockwa.com.
Port Milford in Milford Harbor is within walking distance to town, shops, restaurants, nightlife, and train station. Port Milford offers seasonal, annual, and transient boat slips. Amenities include water, electric, renovated restroom/shower facilities, WiFi, picnic and grill areas, full-service marine yard, 35-ton travel lift and more. A designated “Clean” marina.
Milford Boat Works features floating docks with 194 slips. Maximum vessel length is 50ft. Mean low at docks is 6ft. Amenities include water, 50amp electric, pump-out, showers/restrooms, laundry, ice, WiFi, Ships Store, and more. Fuel dock pumps ValvTect Gas & Diesel fuel. Full-service yard offers repair and maintenance services, travel lift, crane, and more. Everything is nearby.
Village Marina features newly renovated (2019) docks on Housatonic River with easy access to Long Island Sound. The Marina offers 70 boat slips to boaters and recreational fishermen during May 1st to Oct 31st season.
Spencer Marina occasionally has a transient slip available among its 140 slips. This full-service marina and boatyard are located on the eastern shore of Milford Harbor, near downtown Milford (hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, grocery stores). Marina amenities include showers/restrooms, pump-out, ice, grills/picnic area, security, and more. Fuel dock pumps diesel and gas. Pet-friendly. Ships Store for provisioning and water-taxi is available. Offers seasonal and annual rentals. Season opens May 1st. Book via Snag-A-Slip or call the marina. Marine yard offers repair and maintenance services, travel lift.
The City of Milford/Harbor Master also operates a floating dock with 130 moorings available by annual permit in Milford Harbor—no transients. Slip is determined by vessel size and dinghy launch location. A Waiting List for permits is available by application. Contact Harbor Master or Deputy HM via City of Milford website. The Housatonic River Mooring Field has 70 mushroom mooring permits located on the east side of the River. Mooring locations are determined by vessel size. Permits are annual; check City of Milford website for further information and permit application (may be waiting list).
Worldwide Yacht Sales
Luxury Boats & Yachts
- 300K Boat
- 30 To 40 Foot Boats For Sale
- Sabre For Sale
- Great Loop Boats For Sale
- 60 Ft Yacht For Sale
- Viking Sportfish For Sale
- Used Hinckley Boats For Sale
- Used Small Boats For Sale
- Cabo Yachts For Sale
- Bertram Yachts For Sale
- Rybovich Yachts
- Ocean Yachts For Sale
- 50 Foot Prestige Yacht
- Center Consol Boats For Sale
- Trawlers For Sale in Texas