Yachts For Sale In Scituate
In its 375 years since incorporation, the seacoast town of Scituate, located halfway between Boston and Plymouth on the Massachusetts South Shore, transformed from summer colony and fishing community to an upscale residential community with a strong sense of the town’s history and Irish heritage. The name ‘Scituate’ stemmed from ‘satuit,’ the Wampanoag term for the cold brook that runs to the inner harbor. European settlement brought people from Plymouth in 1627. The town incorporated as a separate entity in 1636. Scituate commemorates its history and founding with an annual celebration held annually in August, called “Heritage Days.” The event features live music, artisan crafts, entertainment, kids’ activities, and visits to historical sites. If you plan on boating near Scituate and have kids on board, this would be a great local celebration to attend. You never know what you'll find when stopping at different areas on your yacht!
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Massachusetts. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Scituate Massachusetts
162' Feadship 1986
New Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
80' Viking 80 Convertible 2018
Cape Cod, Massachusetts, United States
79' Custom Converted Royal Navy Fleet Tender 1972
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
72' Viking CPMY 1991
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, United States
70' Hatteras 70 SF 1190 ORIG HRS 1999
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
63' Bertram Convertible 2006
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
58' Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish 1979
Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
58' Taswell 1996
Massachusetts, United States
55' Hinckley Talaria 55 2005
Somerset, Massachusetts, United States
54' Little Harbor Little Harbor 54 1991
Somerset, Massachusetts, United States
53' Scorpio Robb Ladd Custom 1998
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
This South Shore community is 25 miles southeast of Boston, just south of the mouth of the greater Boston Harbor. Scituate is bordered on the east by Massachusetts Bay; to south by Marshfield; on the west by Norwell and Hingham (all in Plymouth County); and on northwest by Cohasset in Norfolk County. The shoreline is sandy in the middle, where most of town beaches are; salt marshes to south surrounding the river; and granite bedrock to north at Scituate Neck (Minot’s Light). The Town Pier on Scituate Harbor, with a small commercial fishing fleet and three business areas, comprise Scituate’s commercial district. Scituate Harbor is predominantly filled with pleasure boats and the commercial fishermen.
Fishing was historically a major part of the local economy, along with the sea mossing industry. Sea moss, also called Irish moss or carrageen moss, is a species of red algae made of polysaccharide, carrageenan and is rich in iodine and sulfur. Carrageenan derived from sea moss is used extensively in the food processing industry as a thickener and emulsifier, and to improve texture especially of nut milks, ice cream, yogurt, deli meats and more. The Maritime & Mossing Museum, set in the 1739 residence of Captain Benjamin James displays artifacts from shipwrecks and the effects of the powerful 1898 Portland Gale on Scituate and area, that changed the course of North River! The Irish Mossing room features the story of Daniel Ward, Thomas Dwyer, and Lucien Rousseau, major foundational figures of the industry—the back-breaking harvesting of red algae from the sea floor. Scituate was a fishing town and most everyone was involved in the industry.
During the 1700s, schooners went to sea to catch mackerel which were shipped in barrels of brine water to the Carolina and Georgia plantations in exchange for rice, wheat flour, tobacco, and indigo—and the West Indies for sugar, molasses, and tapioca. During the 19th century, war blockades and decreasing mackerel runs forced change. Today much smaller crews on diesel powered boats harvest a varied and seasonal catch. The industry has been reduced further by government regulation, processing and distribution costs, in addition to rising fuel costs and international competition. Local visionary, Joby Norton of Mullaney’s Fish Market is bringing the operation local to save on costs by building a fish processing plant, and developing new markets like the local schools, along with his new “boat to table” concept of web-based direct sales—one can’t get fresher fish than that!
Historical points of interest include the Scituate Lighthouse built on the northern edge of Scituate Harbor in 1810 of split granite blocks with a 1.5-story house attached which was activated in 1811. The first keeper, Capt. Simeon Bates lived there with his wife and 9 children. Two young daughters were heroines of the War of 1812, when their quick-thinking to loudly play fife and drum while hidden by a cluster of trees scared off two barges of British redcoats, who were fooled into thinking an entire regimen of troops was defending the town! The government added 15 ft to the tower’s height in 1827 to make it more visible at sea. Then the Lighthouse was deactivated in 1860 when the Minot Light was built on Minot’s Ledge. The town of Scituate bought the Lighthouse from the US Government in 1916 and built a new lantern room to keep the Scituate Lighthouse in good condition to enhance the town’s image. Custody was awarded to the Scituate Historical Society in 1968. In 1994 the light as relit for the first time in 134 years.
The historical Lawson Tower was built in the early 20th century based on a German castle turret style to complement millionaire financier Thomas W Lawson’s country estate, Dreamwold, and cover the water company’s steel standpipe. The beautiful wooden façade with observation deck is the most photographed and expensive water tower in the world! The Stockbridge Grist Mill was built in 1650 by John Stockbridge, with much of the machinery he installed still in the mill today. The Stockbridge and Clapp families owned and operated the mill until 1922, when ownership was transferred to Scituate Historical Society by William H. Clapp. The Mill was restored to working condition in 1970 and corn was ground for purchase by tour groups.
Cudworth House, Barn and Cattle Pound was originally the property of Richard Garett in 1646. It was sold to James Cudworth in 1728 and grandson, Zephaniah built the present house around the chimney of the original structure. The house was purchased by Israel Thorndike in 1851 and became the property of Scituate in 1916 to be administered by the Scituate Historical Society that same year the Society was formed. The house was renovated and displays historical artifacts, porcelain, samplers dating to 1792, Indian artifacts and features an authentic herb garden.
Old Oaken Bucket and Well was the site of Samuel Woodworth’s homestead made famous by his nostalgic poem published in 1817, when Woodworth was an editor for the New York Daily Mirror. He wrote the poem reminiscing about the well and bucket and Scituate homestead that has since been made into a song that became Scituate’s official town song in 1935. The house with well and bucket was listed in the National Registry of Historical Homes in 1996. The oldest portion of the house was built c. 1675 and incorporated into the main house, a Cape style built in 1826.
The Little Red Schoolhouse (Kathleen Laidlaw Center) is loaded with photos, artifacts, collections, genealogical records, and more. The schoolhouse opened in 1893 as the Town’s high school. It became the headquarters of the Scituate Historical Society, founded c. 1916, and the Little Red Schoolhouse was moved to its present location at 43 Cudworth Road in 1919. The Scituate Historical Society owns 5 historical properties and administers 6 others that are owned by the Town of Scituate.
Whether Scituate Harbor is your cruising destination, or just a stopover, the Harbor’s shops, galleries, restaurants, and more are walking distance from the local marinas. TK O’Malley’s Harbor Front Sports Café overlooks the working Town Pier where you can see the commercial fishing fleet bring in the day’s catch. TK O’Malley’s, a family-owned Irish pub features a full-service dining room, large indoor bar and sports lounge, seasonal outdoor bar and patio, and a recently added transient boat dock for Dock & Dine tie-up. Award-winning seafood chowder is on the menu.
Scituate Harbor Marina is located 20 minutes southwest of Boston on Cape Cod Bay and is one of the most picturesque in New England. The Marina offers seasonal and transient slips for boats up to 70 ft. Reserve transient dockage 7 days in advance. Dockside and approach depth is 6 ft. at low tide. Floating docks accommodate vessels up to 70 or 80 ft and a 16 ft beam. Onsite services include fuel dock with gas and diesel, restrooms and showers, 30/50amp dockside power, ice, oil, and freshwater. A full-service market for provisioning is only a ¼ mile walk from the docks and a swimming beach is within ½ mile walk from the Marina. Maria’s Sub & Pizza on Front Street at the Harbor is a short walk from the Marina and has been a mainstay of Scituate Harbor for over 50 years.
Mill Wharf Marina, operated by the Warner family since 1984, is Winner of the Boaters Choice Award in 2018, 2019, and 2020. Located in the picturesque Scituate Harbor, it is the top destination for boaters wanting to dock in Scituate. The Marina offers seasonal dockage (May 10 – Oct 10) that may be extended pre and post season for vessels up to 50 ft LOA. Transients are welcome; reservations must be made one week in advance; use Dockwa.com. The fuel dock offers diesel and gas Valvtect premium marine products and a convenience store with refreshments, sweatshirts, T-shirts, dog treats, and more. Amenities include 30/50amp electric, water, shower and restrooms, grills, picnic tables, secure WiFi, ice, security cameras and gated access, and free parking at marina. Laundry services, grocery store, pump-out, propane, dinghy dock and water taxi service are close by. Mill Wharf Marina began operations in the 1980s when a 100-year-old lumber mill and railway was converted to a marina. The Marina was dredged, renovated, and rebuilt in 2009-2013 to provide deeper water dockside, Trex composite decking, pilings, new gas dock, grilling area over the water, new restrooms, and showers.
The Scituate Harbormaster is responsible for the assignment of moorings and slips administered by the Town of Scituate. There are 8 mooring areas along Scituate Harbor in the Inner and Outer Harbor, and from the Marshfield town line to the Norwell town line. Class of boats served is by length; from less than 16 ft to 40 ft and over. There is currently a waiting list for annual moorings; must apply with Harbormaster; no transient moorings are available. A permit must be obtained to tie-up to any town-owned dock, pier, or float for more than one hour. Permits can be issued on a daily, seasonal, or annual basis with a tie-up fee. The Harbormaster can waive fee and permit requirement for a disabled or transient vessel requiring temporary refuge in Scituate Harbor (eg: to escape a storm).
To search for boats for sale by city, please follow the links below: