Yachts For Sale In Fall River
Fall River is located on the eastern shore of Mount Hope Bay at the mouth of the Taunton River in Bristol County, Massachusetts. Fall River was at its zenith in the 19th century as one of the leading textile manufacturing centers of the world. Fall River is also known for Lizzie Borden of the infamous rhyme who “gave her mother 40 whacks” with an axe…”and her father 41…” Though she was acquitted of the double murder, she never lived down the scandal and suspicion and became the subject of numerous literary works.
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Massachusetts. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED IN Fall River Massachusetts
79' Custom Converted Royal Navy Fleet Tender 1972
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
74' Ocean Alexander 2009 2009
Falmouth, Massachusetts, United States
70' Hatteras 70 SF 1190 ORIG HRS 1999
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
60' Little Harbor 60 1994
Somerset, Massachusetts, United States
54' Hatteras 54 Convertible 1994
Salisbury, Massachusetts, United States
53' Scorpio Robb Ladd Custom 1998
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
53' DeFever "53" 1988
Hingham, Massachusetts, United States
52' Grand Banks Europa 52 2001
Bourne, Massachusetts, United States
Patrick T. Kennedy
50' Willard Marine UB88 1989
East Boston, Massachusetts, United States
48' Ocean 48 Super Sport 1997
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
48' Cherubini 48 Schooner 1986
Dartmouth, Massachusetts, United States
45' Sparkman & Stephens Sailmaster Yawl 45 1965
Dighton, Massachusetts, United States
Fall River got its name from the Quequechan River that flowed through the city; Quequechan is the American Native Wampanoag word for “falling/leaping waters or river” from whence the city is named. The Quequechan River had 8 falls in its last stretch before falling into Mount Hope Bay. Fall River boundaries were disputed for decades in the first half of the 19th century, like a tug-of-war game between Rhode Island and Massachusetts until the US Supreme Court ended it in 1861 by ruling to move the State boundary to State Avenue, thereby unifying the split Fall River (part RI/part MA) as a city in Massachusetts.
Part of the dispute was undoubtedly about political control of the textile mill industry that expanded from Rhode Island on the textile mill industry that began in 1793 with Samuel Slater in Pawtucket. Years later, Quequechan River with its eight falls, proved to be an ideal location for mills. The Fall River Manufactury opened in 1813, followed by the Troy Cotton & Woolen Manufactury in 1814, and in 1821, the Fall River Iron Works was established by Col. Richard Borden and incorporated in 1825.
The Fall River Iron Works produced nails and other hardware for the whaling industry. American Print Works was established in 1835 by Holder Borden, Col. Richard Borden’s uncle, and became the largest and most important textile company in Fall River. Col. Richard Borden also built the Metacomet Mill in 1847 on the lower falls; it is the oldest remaining mill in the city, though no longer operational. The Massasoit Steam Mill was added in 1846, but the first large scale steam-powered mill, Union Mills, wasn’t built until 1859. Another major advantage of Fall River was the deep-water harbor, allowing finished goods to be transported by water. The years following the Civil War saw a dramatic increase in production and business expansion and by 1876, Fall River had one-sixth of New England cotton capacity and 50% of all print cloth production, and was nicknamed “Spindle City.”
The city’s prosperity continued into the early 1920s. But by mid-1920s, supply outstripped demand and inevitably, factories and mills started closing. By the Depression years of the 1930s most were out of business and Fall River was bankrupt. Fires also destroyed a number of buildings. During the mid-20th century other manufacturing businesses moved in, but the textile industry never recovered due to competition from southern states with cheaper labor and newer equipment and finally, from foreign competition as globalism ensued. In the 1960s during the nation’s highway building boom, many historic buildings, including City Hall, were demolished, the Quequechan River was filled in and the falls were diverted into underground culverts to make way for Interstate 195 (RI-MA) and the Braga Bridge that cut through the heart of Fall River. The new City Hall was built in 1976 directly over Interstate 195, giving it a unique distinction.
Located on 14 acres beside the Charles M Braga Jr Memorial Bridge on Battleship Cove, Fall River Heritage State Park is a shaded waterside park with a 1.25 mile boardwalk and an antique carousel. The park is a history-themed public recreation area on the Taunton River offering a relaxing, family-friendly place for a stroll. Battleship Cove—America’s Fleet Museum, is the site of the world’s largest collection of WWII naval vessels. Battleship Cove features five National Historic Landmark US Naval ships and other vessels, and has been preserving historical naval warships since 1965, such as the USS Massachusetts, USS Joseph P Kennedy, Jr., USS Lionfish and more. Battleship Cove also features military helicopters from the Vietnam War era, military drones, and a number of other museums, such as the National PT Boat Museum and the Maritime Museum.
Another nearby attraction is the Narrows Center for the Arts, with the motto “Music that Matters; Art that Inspires.” The Center was founded in 1995 for the promotion and enjoyment of visual and performing arts. It features two art galleries, a performance theatre and visual artists’ studios. The Center was located between North and South Watuppa Ponds where they converge; the waterway is known locally as “The Narrows.” The Narrows Center expanded and now occupies the third floor of the former American Printing Company building that was once part of one of the largest textile operations in the world. The third floor offers spectacular views of the Mount Hope Bay and Battleship Cove.
For visiting boaters, the City of Fall River offers seasonal and daily transient moorings in Battleship Cove for a daily fee through the Fall River Harbor Master (FallRiverHarborMaster.org). Imagine sleeping on your boat next to the gigantic USS Massachusetts—pretty awesome! Fall River Heritage State Park and 1.25 mile boardwalk, great restaurants, and of course, the world’s largest collection of naval vessels, are all right there. Contact the Harbormaster Office for more info and to reserve a mooring.
Borden Light Marina is a family owned and operated full-service marina since 1988, located at the headwaters of Narragansett Bay. Borden Light Marina welcomes transients. The marina has 325 deep water slips for boats up to 65-ft and catamarans with beams to 24-ft. Gas and diesel fuel is available at the deep-water dock, along with ice. Amenities include pool with BBQ grills, Tipsy Seagull rooftop bar, Pink Bean Restaurant at the marina entrance. Fine dining is available at Pier 52 Restaurant with waterfront views. The marina is walking distance to Battleship Cove, The Narrows Center, and more.
The Cove Restaurant & Marina offers seasonal slip rentals for boats 25-ft or larger. A 400-ft transient dock is available daily at no charge. The marina is within easy access to the Taunton River and Mount Hope Bay. Call ahead during the busy summer season.
To search for boats for sale by city, please follow the links below: