Yachts For Sale In Freeport
The Village of Freeport was incorporated in 1892 as a village in the Town of Hempstead in Nassau County on Long Island’s south shore. Freeport was settled in the 1640s as an oystering community. At the turn of the 20th century, Freeport became a popular resort with the New York City theatrical community. Today it is primarily a residential commuting suburb of the City with LIRR service to Freeport Station or a 50-minute (or more) 33-mile drive to midtown Manhattan. Freeport is New York State’s second largest village. Bounded on the south by salt flats and bays; the eastern boundary is the Meadowbrook Pkwy that connects with the Bay and Ocean parkways of the island beaches (Jones Beach). The east-west running NYS Route 27 (aka Sunrise Hwy) bisects the Village of Freeport.
United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in New York. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.
YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Freeport New York
157' Palmer Johnson Tri-Masted Staysail 1983
Manhattan, New York, United States
68' Sunseeker Predator 2014
Whitestone, New York, United States
65' Custom East Bay Boat Works Paddle Wheeler 1987
Oakdale, New York, United States
65' Custom Lager 65 1996
PORT WASHINGTON, New York, United States
64' Vicem 58/64 2010
Huntington, New York, United States
64' Classic FRANK ANDERSON MOTOR YACHT 1931
West Sayville, New York, United States
61' Princess Motoryacht 2007
Glen Cove, New York, United States
Guardian of The Sea
60' Princess Motor Yacht 1999
Port Washington, New York, United States
ROYAL LADY D
60' Viking Cockpit Sport Naples Edition 2001
New Rochelle, New York, United States
60' Viking 60 Sport Motor Yacht 1998
Port Washington, New York, United States
Search for boats for sale in other cities in New York:
- Babylon, New York
- Huntington, New York
- Long Island, New York
- Montauk, New York
- New Rochelle, New York
Freeport has several canals that allow passage through the saltmarshes to access the bays and inlets to the Atlantic Ocean. A historical marker was placed at the inland end of the oldest and most well-known, Woodcleft Canal, which was dredged in 1897 by business partners, Randall and Miller for development of farmlands and marshes into buildable real estate for summer homes. Freeport became a tourist and sportsman’s destination for boating and fishing from 1900 to 1937. Diamond Jim Brady and Lillian Russell’s arrival around the turn of 20th century was the onset of what became a theatrical artists colony in 1914, especially vaudeville performers, which led to a decade of summer performances from mid-1910s to 1920s.
In the late 1800’s, Freeport’s commercial oystering prospered, but the industry began to decline in the early 20th century as a change in salinity and pollution impacted the Great South Bay. During the Prohibition years of 1920 to 1933, Freeport was a major hub for liquor smuggling, with its easy access to offshore rumrunners that lay anchored in the international waters of the Atlantic. Local fishermen and baymen, who know the marshes, coves and channels, ferried whisky in from the flotilla, dubbed “Rum Row” during this 14-year binge of rumrunning, bootlegging and speakeasies (one secret room was recently discovered in a North Freeport home during a basement excavation, complete with bar, still and bottles of homemade liquor that had been untouched since 1937. The Freeport Historical Society has the old copper still on display).
What was not consumed locally made its way to NYC, in fact, nearly a third of illicit liquor got into Manhattan from Long Island. By 1923, Freeport--aka Rumrunners Port, had become a “Bootlegger’s Paradise” as law enforcement could hardly keep up. The Freeport Shipyard on Woodcleft Avenue (back then), owned by the Scopinich family, built vessels for the US Coast Guard and twice as many for rumrunners, including notorious gangster, Dutch Schultz who bought three 42’ boats with 500hp air-cooled Packard Liberator engines and bulletproof fuel tanks! After nearly 14 years of mayhem, Prohibition ended in 1933. After WWII, Freeport became a “bedroom community” for commuters.
After decades of neglect, Freeport’s waterfront has been transformed, especially since hurricane Sandy’s destruction in 2012. Homes along the canals and other waterfront were rebuilt and, along with those that survived, raised up above flood height. Redevelopment on the historical Woodcleft Canal in the late 1990s launched the Freeport Nautical Mile that was dedicated in 2000 and is operated by the Village of Freeport. Located on Main Street along the Woodcleft Canal, the Freeport Nautical Mile attracts locals and visitors alike with waterside dining—clam shacks, oyster bars, restaurants featuring fresh seafood (mussels, clams, blue crab, lobster) right off the commercial fishing fleet docks. The Freeport Nautical Mile has once again provided City dwellers with a place to escape and revisit Freeport’s maritime past, albeit restyled into a family-friendly attraction. Antique-style lighting lines the wide promenade sidewalks for the hundreds of people who come to enjoy the nightlife in warmer weather months and the seaside lifestyle of Long Island’s south shore.
The 4-acre SeaBreeze Park is a waterfront park and marina that was added to the Nautical Mile in 2009. Nearby is the Crow’s Nest Mini-Golf overlooking the water. Party and tour boats offering evening sails for dinner on the water and magnificent sunset views and local cruises, line the Woodcleft Canal. Freeport Water Taxi & Tours navigates from the Woodcleft Canal to pleasant steel drum band music during happy-hour and sunset cruises through the natural beauty of Freeport’s salt marshes, into the bays and inlets south of Jones Beach. The Freeport Water Taxi is a cruise company offering a variety of boat tours and cruises, such as the weekend Sunset, Happy Hour and Daytime Bay cruises, also Seal Watching/Eco Tours, and seasonal specials. The Water Taxi provides shuttle service to and from Freeport and Point Lookout on the northern tip of an Atlantic barrier island.
Freeport has considerable small-boat facilities and a resident fishing fleet, along with charter and sport fishing boats in private and public marinas. The Town of Hempstead operates 4 marinas (Guy Lombardi Marina in Freeport, East Marina, Inwood Marina and West Marina), able to accommodate 600 pleasure craft, and offers free pump-out station and excellent facilities to the boating public. Call Town of Hempstead for availability.
The Patio at Freeport Inn, located on Main Street, features a 3,000 sq ft indoor/outdoor patio and lounge for great food and cocktails served next to the inn’s marina. The full-service high and dry marina has 140 floating slips with water and electric, can accommodate all size vessels. The marina has easy access to open water via Freeport Creek. Contact the Inn for reservations and details.
Aqua Marine on deep-water Hudson Canal offers slips for boats up to 50’ and is only 3 miles from Jones Inlet. The marina features a lift for up to 50’ boats, mechanical services, dry dock services, water and electric power, facilities, WiFi, fuel, and allows liveaboards. Amenities include a tiki bar and event patio.
Mako Marina is a full-service marina located on Hudson Canal featuring certified Volvo and Cummins technicians and Sales & Service, a 50-ton travel lift capable of hauling boats up to 75’ and winter storage. Mako also has boat slips available, new floating docks, electric and water, facilities, ships store and free ice.
Jones Inlet Marine can accommodate 379 boats in slips from 30’ to 120’ in a protected bay near Jones Inlet for easy access to the Atlantic Ocean. Most conveniently located for bay and ocean sportfishing and pleasure boaters. This full-service marina features engine technicians trained in the latest programs and offers winter storage. 100, 50 & 30amp electric and computer modem hook-ups are available at slips.