When Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage to the Caribbean in 1492 he may have not been the first European to reach the place. Evidence suggests that Scandinavians may have been the first Europeans to discover the “New World.” Regardless of whom may have been the first to discover the Caribbean, one thing is for certain; the Caribbean is full of beauty and wonders. It also makes for a great getaway in the dead of winter. What better way to appreciate this paradise than to enjoy the sun and sand while avoiding the bitter cold of winter elsewhere.

Caribbean tree

7000 Islands

The Caribbean is all about sun, sea and sand. With at least 7000 islands, islets, reefs and cays, this region extends from the Bahamas in the north all the way to Trinidad and Tobago in the south. While that might sound like a lot of islands, only about 2% is actually inhabited. That leaves 98% for travelers to explore and 7000 reasons to go island hopping!

Divers and snorkelers can enjoy pristine reefs. Those who prefer trekking could explore the vast numbers of faunas and wildlife, or visit caves and shipwrecks. Or if one is feeling lazy you can just simply enjoy the clear waters, pristine sand and unspoiled views.

The West Indies Cuisine

The Caribbean is much more than a set of islands of warm weather and beaches. The place also boasts a wide variety of foods based on cuisines around the world. The mixed origins of the recipes with mostly of African, Spanish, Chinese, and East Indian influence reflects the region’s rich history.

A famous favorite includes the fried flying fish of Barbados. For those looking for a less exotic option, the jerk chicken of Jamaica is among the most popular. The signature flavor of the country, “jerk,” refers to a very spicy dry or wet rub applied to chicken or other meat.

Tourist whom prefers veggies will definitely want to savor the Callaloo. A vegetable dish with roots in West Africa, this food was brought to the Caribbean during the slave era and is still a vital part of diets in the region.

Caribbean Culture

The arts, culture, religions and languages of the Caribbean is unique due to its multiculturalism. Music lovers will enjoy the sounds of reggae, calypso, and salsa. These music genres make a perfect soundtrack for a vacation. If you’re feeling adventurous you can even go discover the mysteries of voodoo witchcraft.

What are you waiting for? Go experience the Caribbean’s natural beauty of sand, sea and beaches, the food, its culture, and its beautiful people.